Dr. Aruna Shankarkumar
- MSc. University of Mumbai (Biochemistry; 1983)
- PhD University of Mumbai (Biochemistry; 1997)
- Yoga & Naturopathy University of Mumbai (Yoga, Diet, Naturopathy; 2016)
- Mumbai Hematology Group Life member
- Indian Society of Hematology and Transfusion Medicine Life member
- Studying the molecular, proteomic & immunological aspects of Infectious diseases such as HIV, HBV, HCV
Awards & Achievements
- Poster entitled, “The retrospective study which summarizes the impact of accreditation towards successful headway of National Reference Laboratory (NRL) Mumbai” was presented at PCI workshop, Delhi Dec 2014 and awarded as, ‘Outstanding performance in Quality Assurance in HIV testing and achieving international standard as per ISO 15189’.
(Awarded “H M Bhatia Memorial Oration Award” in the year 1997.)
- The National Reference Laboratory for HIV testing, a part of Transfusion Transmitted Diseases Department, NIIH, has been NABL accredited for HIV testing since 23.08.2013.
- Awarded fellowship to pursue Indo-French collaborative project on Molecular characterization of β- thalassemia by PCR, ASO, Primer synthesis, HPLC at INSERM, Paris from February to August, 1994.
- Posters presented at International Viral Hepatitis Elimination Meeting 2017 held at Amsterdam, Netherlands, 17-18 November 2017:
- Significant occurrence of occult hepatitis infection among family contacts of HBsAg positive individuals. Athalye S, Parmar T, Dalal K, Yabaji P, Dalal B, Shukla A and Shankarkumar A.
- b. Potential risk of HBV transmission in government blood banks from Maharashtra. Athalye S, Patil A, Shinde S and Shankarkumar A.
- ii. Molecular characterization of thalassemia by PCR, ASO, Primer synthesis, HPLC at INSERM, Paris from 14th February to 14th August 1994.
- Yabaji PM, Shankarkumar A, Shukla A, Bhatia S. Hepatitis C virus infection in a tertiary care hospital in Mumbai, India: Identification of a mixed and novel genotype. Indian J Med Microbiol 2018 (Article in Press)
- Dalal K, Khorate P, Dalal B, Chavan R, Bhatia S, Kale A, Shukla A, Shankarkumar A. Differentially expressed serum host proteins in hepatitis B and C viral infections. Virus Dis. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13337-018-0484-y
- Yabaji, P., A. Shankarkumar, A. Shukla, and S. Bhatia. "Heterogenous distribution of HCV genotypes and outcome of treatment." JOURNAL OF VIRAL HEPATITIS, vol. 25, pp. 151-152.
- Dalal, K., A. Shukla, S. Bhatia, and A. Shankarkumar. "Analysis of site specific N-glycosylation of serum haptoglobin beta in different liver diseases." JOURNAL OF VIRAL HEPATITIS, vol. 25, pp. 110-111.
- Yardi S, Rajpurkar M, Shankarkumar A.A retrospective study of quality management system at nationalreference laboratory in Mumbai - Highlighting quality in HIVtesting. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2018;7(10):778-783.
- Patil AS, Shankarkumar A. Hepatitis B Diagnosis in Blood Bank: Evaluation and Challenges. MGM J Med Sci 2015; 2 (2): 83-89.
- Dalal K.,Shankarkumar A. Emerging Proteomic and Glycoproteomic biomarkers for Hepatocellular carcinoma. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences 2015; 5: 76-89. Impact Factor: 5.981
- Priya Madan Yabaji, Dr. Aruna Shankarkumar, and Dr. Kanjaksha Ghosh, 2015. “A silent killer HCV (Hepatitis C virus) in India: A Review of prevalence from all available data”, International Journal of Current Research, 7, (9), 20193-20203. Impact Factor: 5.349.
- A.Sonawane Patil, A Shankarkumar. Blood donation in Maharashtra: Prevalence of transfusion transmitted infections in blood donors. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2015 Oct; 6(4): (B) 981 - 987 (Impact Factor = 5.121)
- Patil Aand Shankar Kumar A. Hepatitis B screening accuracy in blood bank. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research Vol. 6, Issue, 11, pp. 7345-7357, November, 2015 (Impact Factor = 5.114)
- Dalal B, Shankarkumar A, Ghosh K. Individualization of antiretroviral therapy-pharmacogenomics aspect. Indian Journal of Medical Research December 2015. (Impact Factor = 3.9)
- U. Shankarkumar U, ShankarkumarA and Ghosh K. HIV and malaria co-infection in Mumbai, western India J Vector Borne Dis 48 ;155-8, 2011.
- U. Shankarkumar, A Shankarkumar ,and K. Ghosh. CCR5 chemokine receptor polymorphism in HIV-1 Patients from Western India. European Human Genetics 19;supl 2, 81, 2011.
- A Shankarkumar, U.Shankarkumar. Third National Science Symposium on HIV/AIDS:HIVScience 2010. Ind Journal of Human Genetics 1:35-6, 2011.
- U. Shankarkumar, A Shankarkumar. Role of HLA-A, HLA-B, HLA-DRB1 and HLADQB1 Alleles in HIV-1 Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis Co Infection from Western India.World Journal of AIDS, 1: 136-138, 2011.
- U. Shankarkumar, A Shankarkumar and K. Ghosh. Human Immunodeficiency Virus –therapeutics and pharmacogenomics- Review Article. International Journal Human Genetics. 17, supplement 1 S22, 2011.
- U.Shankarkumar, A Pawar, S.Bajpai, AR.Pazare, K.Ghosh HLA involvement in nevirepine-induced skin adverse drug reaction in ART treated HIV-1 patients from Mumbai, Maharashtra western India. Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics. 2:114-115, 2011.
- U.Shankarkumar, A Pawar, P.Pazarae, K.Ghosh. CD4 counts and viral load response to different anti-retroviral treatment regimen among AIDS patients from Mumbai, Western India Retrovirology 6 (suppl 2):p81, 2009.
- U.Shankarkumar, A Pawar, K.Ghosh. HIV-1 Evolution, Drug Resistance, Host Genetics – Indian Scenario Virus Adapatation and Treatment 1: 1-4, 2009.
- A Pawar, U.Shanakrkumar, I Sharma, K. Ghosh. Serum Beta 2 microglobulin as a prognostic marker for HIV disease. Tissue Antigens 72: 289, 2008.
- U.Shankarkumar, G.Pranali, A.Pawar, JP Devaraj, V Salvi, K.Ghosh. Novel HLA allele associations in recurrent spontaneous abortion patients from India J of HumanReprod.Sci 1(1): 19-24, 2008.
- U.Shankarkumar, A Pawar, K.Ghosh. Specific Human Leukocyte antigen alleles associated with HIV-1 infection in Indian population. .J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 44(4): 489-490, 2007
- A R Pawar. Concepts of Confocal Microscopy. Immunohaematology Bulletin 35: 2004.
- V Pradhan, S Badakere, A Pawar and A Almeida. Anti-myeloperoxidase antibodies in patients with microscopic polyangitis. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, 57: 479-486; 2003.
- A R Pawar, K.Ghosh, S.Shetty, D.Mohanty. How old is factor V Leiden mutation? Thrombosis Haemostasis, 86: 1591-2; 2001.
- D Mohanty, S Shetty, K Ghosh, A Pawar, P Abraham. Hereditary thrombophilia as a cause of Budd-Chiari syndrome: a study from western India. Hepatology, 34: 666-670; 2001.
- K Ghosh, S Shetty , M Madkaikar, A Pawar, S Nair, A Khare, A Pathare, F Jijina, D Mohanty. Venous thromboembolism in young patients from western India: a study. Clinical Applications in Thrombosis/Hemostasis, ; 7:158-165; 2001.
- K Ghosh, SH Joshi, S Shetty , A Pawar, S Chipkar, V Pujari, M Madkaikar, AV Pathare, F Jijina, D Mohanty. Transfusion transmitted diseases in haemophilics from western India. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 112: 61-64; 2000.
- AR.Pawar, CY Lu, C.Besmond, AC.Gorakshakar, RB.Colah, D.Mohanty, R.Krishnamoorthy. A simple approach to the characterization of three common Indian thalassemia mutations by artificially created restriction sites. Hemoglobin, 24: 311-318; 2000.
- AR.Pawar, K.Ghosh, S.Shetty, RB.Colah, D.Mohanty. High frequency of Factor V Leiden mutation in Parsis- highly endogamous population in India. Thrombosis Hemostasis,83:965; 2000
- A.Pawar, K.Ghosh, S.Shetty, U.Shankarkumar, A.Khare, S.Nair, D.Mohanty. Study of distribution of factor V leiden in Indian population and cases of Thromboembotic disorders. Ind. J. Haematol & Blood Transf XVII supl. 1 : 5-6, 2000
- A.Pawar, CY Lu, C.Besmond, AC.Gorakshakar, D.Mohanty, R.Colah, R.Krishnamurthy Rapid characterization of the major Indian Thalassemia mutations by mismatch priming PCR, the 7th International conference of Thalassemia and the hemoglobinopathies. May Bangkok Thailand. 1999.
- A.Pawar. K.Ghosh, S.Shetty, A.Khare, U.Shankarkumar, M,Mukherjee, S.Nair, A.Pathare, F.Jijina, M.Madkaikar, D.Mohanty. Prevalence of factor V leiden in western Indian population and its various patients with thrombotic disorders. Ind. J Heamat. & Blood Transfusion vol XVII sup 1: 9; 1999
- AR.Pawar, RB.Colah, D.Mohanty. A novel thalassemia mutation (codon 10 GCC GCA) and a rare transcriptional mutation (-28A G) in Indians. Blood, 89: 3888-3889; 1997.
- AC.Gorakshakar, RS.Pavri, AR.Pawar, MS.Sathe, HM.Bhatia. Hematological profile of sickle cell anemia. Indian Journal of Hematology, 5: 105-108; 1987.
Ongoing intramural projects:
- Glycosylation of the Serum Haptoglobin-beta – A Potential Biomarker for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Due to Hepatitis B Virus.
- Pharmacogenomics of Haematological toxicity of Zidovudine in HIV patients.
- Differential HCV expression in variable liver pathological conditions.
- Additional testing to address false positive and false negative HIV cases.
- Study of genetic factors and immune parameters focussing on transmission of HBV in household contacts of classical HBV cases.
- To explore immune players in differential clinical conditions of HBV infection.
Ongoing extramural projects:
- To determine the prevalence of serological and molecular markers of Hepatitis B virus in voluntary blood donors from Maharashtra region. (funded by National Health Mission, Maharashtra)
- A pilot study to evaluate vitamin D as adjuvant in tuberculosis patients in tertiary care hospital in Mumbai.
Transfusion Transmitted Diseases
|1||Priya Yabaji||Ph.D Student|
|2||Kruti Dalal||Ph.D Student|
|3||Bhavik Dalal||Ph.D Student|
|4||Shreyasi Athalye||Ph.D Student|