Transfusion Transmitted Diseases
The Transfusion Transmitted Diseases Department is involved in research on Hepatitis B Virus (HBV), Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). Research activities of the department revolve around studying the various aspects of these viral infections with the help of molecular, proteomic and immunological approaches. Apart from research, the department, under the aegis of National Aids Control Organisation (NACO) & Mumbai Districts Aids Control Society (MDACS), hosts the National Reference Laboratory (NRL) for HIV testing, one of the 13 national level referral centres in the country. 8 State Reference Laboratories from Mumbai and Madhya Pradesh, and 2 Union Territory Regional Centres at Daman Diu and Dadra Nagar Haveli are currently affiliated to NRL, Mumbai. The key responsibilities of the NRL include confirming the status of HIV positive and indeterminate samples using Western Blot, distribution of control sera to assess the quality at the affiliated centres
|Sr. No.||Name||Designation||Email ID|
|1||Dr. Aruna Shankarkumar||Scientist Dfirstname.lastname@example.org /
|2||Ms. Vaishali Pujari||Sr.Technical Officer (2)||email@example.com|
|3||Mr. Ganesh Moorthy||Lab Technical Assistant|
|4||Ms.Shreya Chavan||Technician (C)|
|5||Mr.Shailesh Shinde||Lab Assistant|
|6||Mr. Raju S. Bhurte||Lab Assistant|
|7||Ms. Priyanka Panale||Technical Officer|
|8||Ms. Varsha Mohite||Lab Technician|
Ongoing intramural projects:
- Glycosylation of the Serum Haptoglobin-beta – A Potential Biomarker for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Due to Hepatitis B Virus.
- Pharmacogenomics of Haematological toxicity of Zidovudine in HIV patients.
- Differential HCV expression in variable liver pathological conditions.
- Additional testing to address false positive and false negative HIV cases.
- Study of genetic factors and immune parameters focussing on transmission of HBV in household contacts of classical HBV cases.
- To explore immune players in differential clinical conditions of HBV infection.
Ongoing extramural projects:
- To determine the prevalence of serological and molecular markers of Hepatitis B virus in voluntary blood donors from Maharashtra region. (funded by National Health Mission, Maharashtra).
- A pilot study to evaluate vitamin D as adjuvant in tuberculosis patients in tertiary care hospital in Mumbai.